In this lesson, we will take the 9-beat patterns from pages 91-106 of Steps Beyond and apply the following guidelines:
- Rests are interpreted as unaccented/ghost notes.
- Notes are interpreted as accents
Then we take that result and practice it over different subdivisions including:
- Subdivisions of 4 (8th notes, 16th notes).
- Subdivisions of 3 (8th note triplets, 16th note triplets).
- Advanced subdivisions (such as quintuplets septuplets if you’re feeling brave!)
This pattern can then be voiced around the kit as well as played within the context of different styles (rock, hip-hop, jazz, swing, shuffle brazilian, cuban etc). In the video, Rich is playing his ideas in various styles in 4/4 time. But feel free to explore other time signatures including 3/4, 7/8, 6/8 and 5/4.
In the video, Rich explores different ideas based on exercises 6, 23, 26, 29 from pages 91-106 of Steps Beyond.