In this lesson, we will take the 6-beat patterns from pages 28-29 of Steps Beyond and apply the following rules:
- Rests are interpreted as double strokes
- Notes are interpreted as single strokes
Then we take that result and practice it over different subdivisions including:
- Subdivisions of 4 (8th notes, 16th notes)
- Subdivisions of 3 (8th note triplets, 16th note triplets)
- Advanced subdivisions (quintuplets or septuplets if you’re feeling brave)
This pattern can then be voiced around the kit as well as played within the context of different styles (rock, hip-hop, jazz, swing, shuffle brazilian, cuban etc). In the video, Rich is playing his ideas in various styles in 4/4 time. But feel free to explore other time signatures including 3/4, 7/8, 6/8 and 5/4.
In the video, Rich explores different ideas based exercises 4, 16, 31, 59 from pages 28-29 of Steps Beyond.
Click to enlarge