In this lesson, we will take the 5-beat patterns from page 27 of Steps Beyond and apply the following rules:
- Rests are interpreted as double strokes
- Notes are interpreted as single strokes
Then we take that result and practice it over different subdivisions including:
- Subdivisions of 4 (8th notes, 16th notes).
- Subdivisions of 3 (8th note triplets, 16th note triplets).
- Advanced subdivisions (such as septuplets if you’re feeling brave!)
This pattern can then be voiced around the kit as well as played within the context of different styles (rock, hip-hop, jazz, swing, shuffle brazilian, cuban etc).